The National Consortium for Creative Placemaking is working with the Municipal Art Society of New York to conduct workshops in creative placemaking in five neighborhoods in the city.
Beginning April 9, NCCP will lead workshops that help neighborhood residents learn about creative placemaking and how to map opportunity sites for murals, public art and arts activities. The mapping exercise is important for developing future creative placemaking plans. They are part of the Municipal Art Society's Livable Neighborhoods Program. The program is in partnership with the New York City Department of Small Business Services.
The workshops are between two and four hours, and are being hosted by community-based organizations. The workshops are open to residents, merchants, organizational representatives and other stakeholders.
Two workshops were held in Flushing, Queens and Red Hook, Brooklyn. Together, they attracted about 35 people:
- Port Richmond, Staten Island. Wednesday, April 20, 6:30 to 8:30 pm. At Port Richmond High School. For more information, contact: Kathleen Bielsa, email@example.com
- Bedford Park, The Bronx. Saturday, April 23, 12-4 pm. Location TBD. For more information, contact: Samelys Lopez, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Flatbush-Nostrand, Brooklyn. May 19, 9am - 1 pm. Location TBD. For more information, contact: Kenneth Mbonu, email@example.com and Jackson Rockingster, firstname.lastname@example.org
NCCP offers a number of workshops, presentations and other learning experiences in a wide variety of topics in creative placemaking. Among them are:
- Basics of creative placemaking
- Financing for creative placemaking
- Mapping community assets and opportunities
- Building sustainable teams
- Determining how arts-friendly your community is
We have recently conducted creative placemaking workshops and other learning experiences for the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies, Kentucky Arts Council, Delaware Division of the Arts, Purdue University Honors College and more. We can customize any learning experience to fit your audience, situation and budget. For more information, please contact Executive Director Leonardo Vazquez at email@example.com or 973-763-6352.